Parap Markets & Things To Do In Parap
If the exotic smells and spicy flavours of Asia take your fancy then the Parap Village Markets in Darwin is going to make your day. Tropical fruits, local arts and crafts, entertainment and one of THE best spicy Laksa in the country, Parap Village Markets are a mix of everything you love about Asia with that friendly down to earth atmosphere you get in the Northern Territory.
Parap Village Markets
The Markets are held every Saturday from 8 am to 2 pm, rain, hail or shine all year round. A ritual and institution for locals, these markets offer amazing satay prawns, tropical smoothies, local produce and an amazing environment. Sofie Formica catches up with Rachel Ciesiolka, the “Queen of Seafood”.
If you are in Parap and unavailable for the Parap Saturday Markets, there are a number of other things to see and do around town. From art galleries to historical tours, there’s something for everyone.
5 Things To Do in Parap
- Visit the Art Galleries – With 4 distinct galleries, this art represents contemporary and traditional artefacts of Aboriginal, Tiwi Island and Australian work. From paintings to fabrics and wall hangings, these pieces represent thousands of years worth of cultural and historical significants.
- Watch a Drag Race at the Hidden Valley Motor Sports Complex – Located close to town, you can watch, race or hire the race track out at Hidden Valley. With bars, food kiosks and VIP lounge, you have everything you need for a great day out at the track.
- Watch the sunset at Mindil Beach – Get down to the beach in the early afternoon to enjoy the huge variety of food stalls a the Mindil Beach Markets on either a Thursday or Sunday, before heading down to the beach for some spectacular sunset views out across the water.
- Book a tour at the Royal Flying Doctor Service Tourist Facility – Enjoy a self-guided tour around the RFDS Darwin Tourist Facility and learn about the heroic rescue stories of Australias Royal Flying Doctors Service, enjoy interactive exhibits and virtual reality (VR) presentations.
- Explore the Darwin Botanic Gardens – Take a walk through the exotic gardens and experience the rainforest, mangroves and open woodlands of the Darwin Botanic Gardens. With Waterfalls, treehouse playground and cafe, you’ll have plenty to see on this garden walk.
A favourite amongst visitors and locals alike, the Parap Markets have a little something for everyone. And don’t forget to check out some of the other scenic activities available nearby. Parap is something pretty special in the heart of darwin.