Only 350 kilometres north-west of Toowoomba, Roma is sometimes referred to as the ‘gateway to the outback’. Home to the southern hemisphere’s largest sale yards, visitors can get a feel for the outback by perching on a fence or taking a coveted possie on the viewing platform to watch the action at Roma Saleyards. Be sure to time your visit for a Tuesday or Thursday and you can witness the sale of up to 12,000 head of cattle in a single day.
Roma is the primary service centre for much of Queensland’s South West. With a range of cafés, restaurants and speciality shops, Roma offers a touch of a cosmopolitan lifestyle, without losing the relaxed country charm. While at Roma take a trip west along the Warrego Way.
What To Do In Roma
- Tour The Roma Saleyards – Visit the biggest cattle Saleyards in the Southern Hemisphere and what them action off cattle at the famous Sales yard.
- Stroll Through The Roma Bush Gardens – Enjoy 14 hectares of native flora and fauna in this beautiful country garden.
- See The Big Rig Night Show – Discover the history of oil and gas at the Big Rig Show. Enjoy spectacular lights, sound effects, image projections and props.
- Enjoy An Outback Feast At The Explorers Inn – If you love steak, then Roma is the place for you. From Explorers inn, Kings Motor Inn and Steakhouse you can enjoy a delicious meal. If steak isn’t your food of choice, The Tasting Co offers amazing vegetarian options.
- Join a Boobook Ecotour – The yours wich depart from Roma offer several hidden wonders from secluded gorges to Carnarvon Ranges and unique rock formations with aboriginal art sites.
- Take A History Lesson Through Town – Learn about the tale of Captain Starlight, peak through stain glass windows, and enjoy Roma streets oldest and largest bottle tree.
- Visit Hero’s Avenue – A street full of 140 bottle trees which line the footpaths. Originally planted in 1920, these trees pay tribute to the local soldier who risked their lives and died in WWI.
- Enjoy Roma’s Easter In The Country – A 5-day festival full of brilliant easter eggs. From monster egg hunts to goat racing you’ll have an eggcellent time at Easter in the Country.
- Place A Bet at The Roma Races – The biggest event of the year in Roma is the Roma Races. People travel from near and far to enjoy the country-style horse racing event.